Frequently Asked Questions

Collaborative Governance

Are there any prerequisites for applying for admission into the Graduate Certificate for Collaborative Governance program?

  • Students must have a masters degree or equivalent experience (4 years of professional experience) to be admitted into this program. There are no course prerequisites. 

How long does it take to complete the certificate?

  • The certificate program is structured for students to begin in the Fall semester and complete by the Summer (9 months). Currently the program is designed for one cohort per year, but depending on demand, another cohort may be added in the future.

What is the deadline for applications?

  • Fall Application Deadline: August 1st for both incoming domestic and international applicants.
  • Spring Application Deadline: November 1st for both incoming domestic and international applicants.
  • Note for Current Degree-Seeking Graduate Students: Rolling admission is available throughout the fall and spring semesters for all current students already enrolled in a graduate program. However, applicants are encouraged to apply early and no later than the last day of classes for each semester. Specific dates can be found on the Academic Calendar

Are classes offered on campus?

  • Two of the three core courses are offered online. The skill based course, PA 507 is taught in classroom or workshop format on campus.

Can these certificate courses count toward fulfilling a graduate degree?

  • Yes, each course is equivalent to three credit hours of graduate school classes, and may be credited toward completion of a Masters in Public Administration or other graduate level program at the University of Arizona, or another university that will accept transfer units.

I already took some graduate courses at another institution. Can I transfer in any credit hours?

  • Up to three credits or one graduate level course may be substituted for one of these courses with the approval of the program director. Transfer units must have been taken within a 7 year period of your date of graduation from the University of Arizona.

Can current UA students take advantage of these courses or the program?

  • Currently enrolled UA graduate students can enroll in the individual courses offered for the Collaborative Governance Certificate program with permission of the instructor. If you choose later to apply for the certificate, these courses would count towards the 12 credit hour requirement. And you would receive credit for any previously completed elective courses qualifying towards the certificate.  

How do I apply to the Certificate program as an MPA student?

  • There is a Collaborative Governance Concentration available for MPA students that requires a minimum of 9 credit hours (PA 620A, PA 622A, and a skills course).  Students who also wish to earn the Certificate must take an additional on line course, PA 624A–Collaborative Tools (online) to complete the 12 credit hour certificate requirement.
  • In some instances other courses may be substituted for PA 624A with the approval of the program director.
  • To be awarded the certificate, you must apply online at the Graduate College for admission to the certificate program. There is no charge for current graduate level students to add the certificate to a current program or need to resubmit original transcripts.

How do I register for the courses if I am a current student?